Originally a wood-framed structure, classes began for the 1865-66 school year as a part of the Ballona School District. In its first year, there were 17 boys and 11 girls registered in 14 classes. The teacher, Miss Craft from Boston, received $50 a month, including board. The school year was seven months long, so children could work on the ranchos. Established on a portion of Rancho La Ballona, this is the oldest school in what became Culver City. It eventually became a part of the Culver City Unified School District. The school is in its third structure today.
At the marking event for historical site #10, with the children holding up photos of all 3 structures of La Ballona School.
Information above taken from Culver City's Historical Society.